Christmas & New Year's Eve Makan-Makan |

by - 13:06

It's probably the time when everyone is getting their playlist ready - the Christmas playlist! Whether a Christian or not, I believe the most favourite festive season of the year (or of all time) is C H R I S T M A S coz it seems like most of my friends look forward to the yuletide season - and obviously yours truly's favourite time too! I am also forever grateful to be working in a hotel coz it means Christmas is celebrated extensively and also because I get to taste our yummy buffet spreads... We held a food tasting session for our Christmas & New Year's Eve Buffet Dinner last night hosting a group of media friends and it was such a fun one! Read on and you'll see it's not just the food but the company.


Every year, Hard Rock Hotel Penang celebrates Christmas & New Year's Eve with offerings in Starz Diner, Pizzeria and Hard Rock Cafe and I am honoured to be able to taste them before everyone gets to! Here's a combination of the Christmas & NYE buffet highlights served in Starz Diner.

Prawns & Peach Shooters (Christmas)

Salmon Gravlax Hinava (NYE)
Did You Know? Hinava is a traditional Kadazan-Dusun salad-like dish which is a combination fish, mixed with lime juice, bird's eye chili, slice shallots and grated gingers.

Gateau of Avocado, Tomato & Crabmeat Salad (NYE)
Did You Know? Gateau means a rich cake, typically one containing layers. This is the first time I'm trying a 'gateau' and I'd say it's not bad at all. I find this particular starter amusing coz when you eat the all the layers together, it seemed a little salty but when u eat the layers separately, you taste sourish, salty and creamy. Not sure if you get me here hahaha! Nvm, you should try it yourself then.
Asian Charred Baby Octopus (NYE)








I am a huge fan of baby octopus... But when the word 'baby' is there I feel so guilty munching them away. How do I overcome this please?! Anyway, all the starters were yummy and very appetizing and refreshing. 

Now that we are done with the starters, now let's move on to the main dishes... 

Roasted Turkey with Giblet Gravy & Cranberry Sauce
Glazed Nuts, Sage Bread Stuffing, Sweet Potato & Seasonal Veggie (Christmas)
Have you ever wondered why do we eat Turkey for Christmas? Like is there a particular interesting story to it? If you're wondering why... Find out yourself. Don't be a lazy bum! Read it here.

Seafood Nori Roulade with Cauliflower Puree & Red Capsicum Salsa (Christmas)

This is one of my favourite dishes! I have never tasted cauliflower puree in my life and it goes so so well with the roulade. The taste & texture is something like fish ball but obviously much better... 

Blackened Red Snapper with Squid Ink Noodle & Cherry Tomato Stew (Christmas)
I think it's really smart to pair the tomato stew with the red snapper coz it eliminates the 
'fishy smell'. I had quite a few pieces of this! 

Crabmeat Otak-Otak with Chili Marmelade (NYE)
Otak-otak is usually made of ground fish meat mixed with tapioca starch and spices. But in this case, it is made of crabmeat and I tell you it is heaven on earth! Otak-otak is widely known across Southeast Asia, especially in Indonesia, Malaysia and Singapore. 

Wok-Fried Slipper Lobster with Dried Chili Flakes, Curry Leaf & Garlic (NYE)
This is the dish that has to be replenished every 15 minutes. Haha! Best seller? I find the meat a little hard and salty however, bearable. I wish I can have more but being the host YOU CAN'T BE GREEDY SO JUST SIT DOWN & KEEP QUIET. D:

Grilled Beef Steaks with Sundried Tomato Hollandaise (NYE)
You know this thing about beef, it's sometimes a love-hate relationship. In most cases, beef served in buffets tends to be tougher and I usually wouldn't go for them. But this one. This one though... I could not resist and I have no regrets! The meat is tender and the sauce goes really well with the meat. YUMZ! 
Hello, Chef!

The spread...

Green Tea Panna Cotta (NYE)

Strawberry Fruit Meringue (Christmas)

Miniature Passion Fruit Cheese Cake (NYE)
This is my favourite dessert last night! The aroma from the Passion Fruit makes the cheese cake very refreshing. Not just plain sweet and creamy.

Chocolate & Cherry Yule Log Cake (Christmas)
Did You Know? Yule Logs are logs that are specially selected to be burnt on a hearth as a Christmas tradition.

Every year, I can't wait to see the display on the Yule Log cake coz our chefs are really good at decorating it. Just look at how cute the miniature deers, houses, trees and Santas are!! 

Remember what I mentioned in the beginning that the night was nice not just because of the food? Have a look at what happened last night here: 


Thank you, Barry for capturing the moment!

My boss, Angeline encouraged Hong and I to perform some Christmas Carols and we did it (with fear & trembling)! So happy to have crazy and sporting media friends to dance along too! It was really a funny night.

So here's the deal. After you've seen all the photos (taken with my Samsung Note 3) and my effort editing them, you should really consider Hard Rock Hotel Penang's offerings this coming jolly season!

Don't worry, let me provide you with the deets!

Christmas Eve Buffet Dinner
Venue: Starz Diner
Time: 6.30 pm - 10.30 pm
Price:
Adult - RM190 nett
Child - RM96 nett

New Year's Eve Buffet Dinner
Venue: Pizzeria
Time: 6.30 pm - 10.30 pm
Price:
Adult - RM199 nett
Child - RM99 nett

Thank you for reading!

Love,
Sheryn 

You May Also Like

0 kind notes