Your Basic Guide to Exploring Phu Quoc, Vietnam

by - 17:26

Travel dates: 18 - 22 September 2023

After a very busy first half of the year, I realised that we (my hubs and I) need to take a chill pill and to rest. So we started searching for somewhere we could go that we could afford. While discussing this with my friend, Ruth, she suggested a place where she thought we would enjoy as a family. A place with sand, sea & sun! Yes! These are the 3 S that Asher and I love. So with a little knowledge of this mysterious island, we went ahead to buy the flight tickets. 

A little side story, Sean was quite hesitant to go somewhere far at first due to the expenses but he felt that we should just do it (with some blessings we received previously) and then said yes to me to book the flights. 3 weeks after we booked the flights, another person sent us $$ again. See, our God is always so faithful and good to us! 

Now back to our holiday story!

Our flights were considered cheap, about RM1,500 round trip for 3 persons. I don't recommend the way we planned our flights, but to save every penny, I booked them separately. 

I can tell you the Phu Quoc map better than Penang. I spent way too long researching on the island! So we decided to stay 2 nights in the north part of the island and the other 2 nights in the south part. 


DAY 1: GRAND WORLD 

Grand World is like a little town on its own, with many little hotels and shops around. I will not write much about it coz you can also find it online haha! There is a free shuttle bus that takes you to the bus station at Grand World and then you could take a free buggy ride to the nearest buggy stop to your hotel. However, we were too excited to get to our hotel and succumbed to taking a private car instead. That cost us 370,000VND (RM72)!!! This is too much! Don't be like us okay?

It could be that September is rainy season so the area was quite empty. When we first got there, my first 3 words were "Whoa, ghost town". There were barely anyone there except people working in the hotels. We booked Sel De Mer for RM235.50 for 2 nights. I booked this hotel thinking we could have those free replenish-able snacks and drinks like in Hat Yai. Sadly, everything here is chargeable, even the bottled mineral water. The staff here, however was very helpful and would recommend places to eat and things to do. It was easy to communicate as they have a WhatsApp number and we communicated in English. 

This was our room. Photo taken from agoda.com

The hotel also offers a few electrical bike for rent. The rental prices are as below:
50,000 VND per hour
200,000 VND per day

You could go without a bike to explore the place but we had a toddler who asks to carry every 3 minutes, rent-a-bike it is! 

The lil' one had fun on the bike!

This is a Phu Quoc specialty called Bun Quay at Bún Quậy Kiến Xây for 85,000VND with a bottle of Sprite

Dinner Dish: Stir Fry Water Spinach with Garlic

Dinner Dish: Caremelised Pork Belly - YUMZ

Dinner Dish: Fried Omelet with mince Pork
First Iced Coffee

This was a funny story. When they served us the glass of coffee, I was so confused as to why they gave me so little coffee? So I used Google Translate and asked them. They looked confused and walked away.  After a while, I took a sip and got a shock! It was soooo concentrated! Then I understood why they gave me so little coffee. It was for the ice to melt to dilute the coffee. Haha! But it was too late, they came, took away my glass and poured me another portion of coffee. I thought I wouldn't have been able to sleep that night but thank God, I slept like a log!
Oh, they didn't charge for the extra portion hehe! 

We were told that in Grand World, there is a daily water and light show at 10pm, so after our late dinner, we waited for the show.
It was spectacular, sadly Asher fell asleep while waiting. The show lasted for 30 minutes. 
This photo surely doesn't do justice. There were light, fire, water, actors dancing etc. 


DAY 2: VINWONDERS THEME PARK

It's theme park day! I was really looking forward to this coz I'm a thrill seeker (at least I think I am?) I was looking forward to sitting on roller coaster rides etc. But when I was there, again, the park was so empty and I ended up feeling too scared to go on those rides by myself. Sean and I took turns to be with Asher. I recommend going to the park with more people if you have a kid with you. 

They have an aquarium with mermaid shows and a big variety of sea creatures. They even have penguins! They were super cute! There is also a mini playground and 2 restaurants in the aquarium. 

The park tickets cost us about RM360 for 2 adults. Children 100cm and below enter the park for FREE, however there are only a handful of rides and activities suitable for them. 

This is the front of the park... A little like Disneyland, some say.

At the mermaid show

Met Aladdin and the gang haha!

The ONLY activity we could do together - Lazy River

There is also a very nice water park, which then you'd have to rent the lockers and bring a set of change. My friend introduced me a disposable towel which can soak pretty well. We brought those so we didn't have to carry big bags to the park. They look like this:



Best Beef Pho we've had - Ann Food & Drinks (Vinwonders)

They also had the light & water show at the theme park, so we stayed until the show ended which was about 8pm. There is a free shuttle bus to get to the theme park as well. So convenient and nice! 


DAY 3: DUONG DONG & PHU QUOC NIGHT MARKET

We had a free & easy day on the day that we were moving to the southern part of the island. We went to the Grand World park to take some photos and then took another free shuttle bus to our next hotel. We love the free bus service so much! The buses are very new and comfortable too. We rented a bike from our hotel to go around the area. The night market is about 8-9 minutes from our hotel. There were many eateries and mart around our hotel too. We booked Aquasun Hotel and paid RM330 for 2 nights. The room comes with breakfast for 3 of us and a free room upgrade (from Agoda). 

Our room! Photo from Google

The bathroom. Photo from Google


The nicest family photo we have from the trip lol!


The view from our hotel room balcony

Beautiful beach right outside our hotel

Measuring cups as beach toys

First time trying this potato snack.

I cannot go to Vietnam and not eat this

The snails were yummy too

Something I'd love to try but didn't


DAY 4: SAO BEACH, KHEM BEACH & SUOI TRANH WATERFALL

We took a whole day to explore some Sao & Khem beach and were disappointed. We saw so many beautiful photos of these beaches on Instagram but when we were there, the sea water was cloudy and dirty :( So Sean found a nearby waterfall that we could go to and it lifted our moods! We had to pay a small entrance fee (60,000VND) to go into the reserved park, walked a little to the waterfall and had our little teatime there.

Hotel Breakfast was yum yum

SAO Beach looked like that :(

Another Vietnamese dish I didn't want to miss: Broken Rice


This was my 4th Banh Mi in Phu Quoc, and the best.

Grilled Squid - all time fave! RM20 only!

Sea Urchins for RM20 too. Taste was not bad!

At this point, I am so tired from writing and trying to recall as much as I can haha! So I'm gonna stop here. Overall we had a good and relaxing trip and I'm so happy to get to try the food in Vietnam! Thank you, Phu Quoc!

Thank you for reading! 

Love,
Sheryn

You May Also Like

0 kind notes