"Why The Hell Are You So Fat?"

by - 17:35

It was like a normal day at work today, actually it was more fun than usual because I was putting up a 'wish' tree which is exactly a Christmas tree. So the whole morning I was at the lobby and setting up the tree. Suddenly, one of my colleagues (there were a few of them there) who were looking at us from afar called my name. As I turned, he said "Sheryn! Sam wanna talk to you." and I asked what is it about and he then said "Sam asked why the hell are you so fat?" and then they laughed. The person who called me was David. And trust me, I don't even know them well at all. I have been working here for about 1 year plus now and the amount of words exchanged can actually be counted. The point is if my bff were to say that to me, I don't mind. If my bf were to say that to me, I actually don't mind. BUT it was them who were almost strangers, whom I don't even talk to who said such hurtful and insensitive words. They thought it was funny. Well no. It wasn't. 


I then stared at them and I was speechless. I let the words ring in my head. I let the emotions swing like madness. I held it in. I went back to the office once the tree was done. Then I sat at my desk feeling like crap. I needed to let out. I really needed to cry. And I couldn't hold back anymore. So I went to the toilet and released like 2 gallons of tears. I was texting my colleague coz she witnessed the whole thing. She then said that she needed to tell our boss as this is justice. And it WAS NOT RIGHT for them to do that at all. So she went ahead to tell our boss with my permission. I went back to office right after. It was the most embarrassing moment where I could not even look straight when I walked. 

Little did I know, someone from the other cubicle heard me crying and informed the human resource dept. So great, now the HR knows. And the thing is they came to the toilet and saw me walking out and called my boss right away. Boss told them everything and they asked if I wanted to report. Of course not la. Not really a serious thing. And in the end the two guys came up and apologize to me. Although I knew they weren't sincere in their apology, I forgive them. Before they left. I told them in my unstable voice, to NEVER say anything like that to a girl anymore. 

So what's the conclusion? Why do I find this post-worthy? 

I believe there are many guys out there who are not careful at all with their choice of words. They may think it's funny, they may think it's nothing and like what the 2 guys came up to me and said "come on lah, we weren't serious", let me tell you, it IS serious. it IS hurtful. I actually told myself to believe that it isn't a big issue and I should just keep quiet and keep it to myself. But again and again my colleague reminded me that they need to learn that they can't do that anymore. Not to me. Not to anyone else! And yes! I am convinced. They need to learn and they need to change. So yes, if anyone has said anything that is really insensitive and hurtful, you should take action.

I am a happy girl now. :) 

You May Also Like

0 kind notes