Ipoh in 28 hours |

by - 19:39


Destination: Ipoh, Perak 
Accommodation: M Boutique Hotel 
Travelers: Elin | Sheryn | Jesmine | Carine | Hong
Duration: approx. 28 hours
Hash tags: #liuyiyi (6/11) & #WeLoveIpoh (coz there's parking space everywhere)

Road trips are the funnest when it is planned last minute! I get excited every time whenever something like that comes up. So we chose M Boutique Hotel recommended by Carine. She is usually the one who shares info with me on fancy hotels you can find in Malaysia and you can totally trust her on this!

This hotel is perfect for your Instagram feed! You can anyhow snap photos at any angle and it will look great. The hotel has 93 rooms and the theme is different on every level. When they say they try hard to pay attention to the smallest detail in everything, trust me, they do. And this is how all boutique hotels should be like. It's so so so amazing to see how excellence is put into the things they do. Right beside the hotel is Old Town White Coffee. This is the most fancy outlet you will ever see! Even the menu is different from the one in Penang. Again, the interior deco is to die for! You really should see for yourself! We reached the hotel at around 5.30pm on Sat. The journey took us quite a while coz it was very jam on the Penang bridge. What wasn't frustrating was the beautiful sky...






Announcing the arrival of the escaped animals from Taiping Zoo! HAHA!
 Once we've reached the hotel, we got ready and went out for dinner. By that time we were starving! We went to this Thai restaurant called Koh Samui which was recommended by our colleague who came from Ipoh. It took us about 10 minutes to this place. We ordered tomyam soup, fish cakes, deep fried kangkung, stir-fried squid with cashew nuts, glass noodle salad and omelette. The food came exceptionally fast and I love how the servers would serve the rice on our plates and the soup too! What I didn't really like was that the food was a little too cold coz of the AC. Other than that, the food's ok. Not to say great coz I believe Penang has more yummy Thai food. What I love most from what we ordered was the Glass Noodle Salad. Yumz!



Koh Samui Thai Restaurant
Address: 83, 85, Jalan Raja Ekram, Kampung Jawa, Ipoh, Perak, Malaysia
Contact: +605 255 6608
Price: RM160
Taste: 6/10


After our dinner, we headed to Tong Sui Kai (Dessert Street) for some fruit on ice shavings. I wonder why have I been to Ipoh so many times but never came across this place? I totally love the fruits served on top! This is super refreshing and it's similar to Ais Kacang in Penang just that it's without the red beans and other condiments but with fruits instead. There are a number of stalls that serve the same kinda thing but we chose this because... Carine said so. Haha!!

So this is the stall we chose... Please excuse the quality of the photo. 
Look at them colours! 
Tong Sui Kai 
Address: Jln Sultan Ekram, Ipoh, Perak, Malaysia
Price: RM6 (per bowl)
Taste: 8/10

Ipoh is NOT BORING
- The last time I came to Ipoh, I was like thank God I live in Penang coz there's live bands happening in quite a number of places at night. Little did I know that Ipoh is quite similar also. I thought Ipoh is a dead town. We went back to where Koh Samui was, and right opposite there's a pub/bistro called Bricks & Barrels. This place is quite nicely done up. I love the retro and vintage deco and even the menu was designed in that 'feel'. We ordered 5 bottles of Strongbow with different flavours since Jesmine has not yet tasted before. We waited for about 40 minutes till the live band came up. When we saw the band members, Hong and I were thinking that they would probably sing songs that we have never heard before but to our surprise, we knew all the songs they sung in their 1st set. Woot woot!! They're not the best live bands I've heard but they are not too bad. Unfortunately I was too lazy and tired to move so there's no photo of the band. Besides live band and drinks, they also serve a wide selection of food but too bad we were so full from dinner & dessert and couldn't even bare thinking about snacking. I think the food is not too bad also because a lot of other tables had food and they smell wonderful.


Love this poster so much! 
Bricks & Barrels
Address: Jalan Lau Ek Ching, Kampung Jawa, 30300 Ipoh, Perak, Malaysia
Contact: +605 253 8558 
Opening Hours: 4pm - 1am (Mon - Thurs, Sun) | 4pm - 2am (Fri & Sat)

Before we went to bed... 
The next day - We were entitled to 4 breakfasts at M Boutique. Sharing is caring, so we shared our breakfasts. You have 3 choices of Western breakfast to choose from and I'd say they a bit stingy lor. I don't think anyone would be full after their breakfast. Maybe coz they want us to save our stomach space for more Ipoh food? Haha! So here's what we had:


Well, who would be full from the breakfast earlier? Next stop, Ming Court Hong Kong Dim Sum! This place is right opposite the famous Foh San dim sum. It was sooo packed and if you are not aggressive enough you wouldn't be able to find a table... Like us. We were pushed around in the beginning and went out instead. Hong went in to wait for the family to finish eating so we could sit at their table. It was a good 20 minutes wait before we could start ordering. Taste wise, I think Foh San is better, although a lot of people raved about this place. Even the uncle who takes care of the car park asked us to come here. What I like is their "ha kao", "chin dui", brinjal with fish ball and "wu kok".   
Here is us waiting for the table. Hong is like in the zoo. HAHA!
Their dim sums are a tad bit smaller than our usual ones. Siew Mai has many types too!
Ming Court Hong Kong Dim Sum
Address: 32, Jalan Leong Sin Nam, Kampung Jawa, 30300 Ipoh, Perak, Malaysia
Contact: +605 255 7134
Opening Hours: 6am - 12pm (Daily except Thursdays)
Taste: 7/10
Price: RM59 (if not mistaken)

After 2nd round breakfast, we went a little bit of sight seeing to kill time to wait for my "fa sang wu" dessert stall to start business at 1pm. So here we are. There are so many stalls here and I love the little souvenirs sold at this place. They look very cute and very interesting.  


We went to Burps & Giggles to rest coz it was super hot outside. Jesmine and I also made ourselves passport covers and she bought customisable keychains. They are really pretty and cheap. We have our names engraved on the items. 



Stole a few sips from Hong... So refreshing!
This is something like molten lava cake with vanilla ice cream and salted caramel. 
Finally. the moment that I have been waiting for is here... I was super excited to try this coz I saw someone posted about the muar chee and the fa sang wu and it looked so good. I craved since then. You don't know how I acted when I put the first spoon into my mouth. I'm not really a fan of muar chee so didn't take photo of it. Hah! You HAVE to try this if you're there! I even bought 2 packets home for my parents and Sean. 



RM3 per bowl is sooo worth it. This is my favourite Chinese dessert. It's peanut paste soup,
something like peanut butter soup! 

Hong Kee Mah Chee 
Address: 550, Jalan Queen, Pasir Pinji, 31650 Ipoh, Perak, Malaysia
Opening hours: 1pm - 5pm
Price: RM3 per bowl
Taste: 10/10 (HAHA!)

I felt that my life was complete... Haha! After that we went to the usual stop where the salted chicken and biscuits and chicken rice are. We had "Tau Fu Fah", another dessert. We weren't the only famous people who went nyehehehehe there were so many celebrities who came before too! I am usually not a fan of tau fu fah but this is so smooth and yummy! They also sell soya bean milk here which I didn't buy this time. 


Funny Mountain
Address: 49, Jalan Theatre, Taman Jubilee, 30300 Ipoh, Perak, Malaysia
Opening hours: 10.30am until they finish selling
Price: RM1.20 per bowl 
Taste: 9/10

It was so so hot that Jesmine had a headache and we were all quite exhausted from the heat so we went to somewhere with AC. I wanted the gang to try the Moonlight noodle (Yute Kwong Hor) and octopus. It's the best boiled octopus ever! Sorry I forgot how much were these... They also sell a lot more types of noodles but we were too full to try others, so this one will do. Please don't go there with full stomachs ok?





Restoran Sun Tuck Kee
Address: 65, Jalan Yau Tet Shin, 30300 Ipoh, Perak, Malaysia
Opening hours: 11.30am - 2.30am
Taste: 9/10

Just right oppotsite the noodle restaurant, we wanted to try their creme brulee but it was sold out so we had caramel custard instead. I love it! Not just cheap but the caramel tastes so so good! I also love the texture of the custard. It's so smooth! This ends our food trip. 


Gui Ling Tong 

Address: 72, Jalan Yau Tet Shin, Taman Jubilee, 30300 Ipoh, Perak, Malaysia
Opening hours: 12pm - 12am
Price: RM2.90
Taste: 8/10


I really enjoyed this trip coz everyone's so chill about everything... And we laughed so much. I also found out that I am actually not the only clumsy one... Haha!! On Saturday night, I stepped on a puddle of smelly and dirty water and immediately felt so so so disgusted. Later on, Jesmine dropped her spectacles box into another puddle of smelly water. Haha and Hong is always dropping things on her wallet, phone etc. It's funny!! The most careful ones are probably Elin & Carine. Haha! So lady like.. I cannot. We all had fun and I hope we could do this again... Wait till I save enough money first. Hah! Till then, tata! 

More photos: 



















Thank you for reading!

Love,
Sheryn


You May Also Like

0 kind notes