43 Cafe - Authenticity goes a long way |

by - 09:53

Yesterday I finally got the chance to try out the food at 43 Cafe, Penang. I've been eyeing on their food for the longest time. And since my Life Group venue was around that area, we decided to have a try. Thank God I remember about the cafe!

We're not very good with directions (yes, even in a small island) so we depended on Waze.
To our surprise, the cafe is operated in the porch of a home. 

One thing that was different in this cafe is that you walk in as a customer, you leave as a friend. I guess this was the owner's intention; to befriend with his customers. He was super warm to us. He introduced and guided us when we were deciding to order our dinner. That little cafe serves about 6 types of food, which includes pasta, pork satay, pork steak, burger and homemade "ice scream". 

You need to know why I said authenticity goes a long way. I can safely say that this is the first place that I've ever been that serves food made from scratch, WITHOUT anyone having to shout about it. It wasn't written on anywhere. For example, there's writings on Miam Miam in Gurney Paragon's wall "Our food is made from scratch daily" 
No. At 43 Cafe, you can taste the "made from scratch" yourself. No one has to tell us. 

So after being guided on what to order, I ordered Spaghetti Carbonara
(you can choose your main ingredient: Mushroom or Pork Sausage) I chose mushroom.
Upon ordering, I made sure what I ordered has the egg yolk on top as I've seen in Instagram photos posted about this place. Just wanna make sure I don't get disappointed when my food arrives.
And when it was served to me, the owner said "here's your egg yolk" haha! *shy*

Spaghetti Carbonara with Mushroom | RM19.80
Sean ordered dried pork chop or something. Oh no, I'm so sorry I forgot what this is called. Let's just call it pork steak since it looks like one. When they were cooking this, we could already smell it. The aroma was heavenly! The owner stressed that this piece of pork is super tender and will not be chewy at all, which was true. I had my first bite and I went to heaven. The sauce was incredible! You could really taste that it was made from scratch. I don't even know how to describe the taste. It was nice and creamy. The potato salad on the sides was yum too! Although we could guess what dressing was used for the greens, we loved it anyway.
(It's the roasted sesame dressing from Kewpie).

Dried Pork Steak | RM28.80


Besides our mains, we've ordered the pork satay. One word. LEGENDARY! Every part of the pork was properly marinated with their special sauce. You can NEVER find this taste ever in Penang. It was simply amazing. When we both had our first bite, we looked at each other with enlarged eyes and a wide smile. We knew this was from heaven! 

Pork Satay | RM1.20 per stick (min. 5 sticks)

We both ended our meal with their homemade "ice scream". I told Sean no matter how full I was I will not leave until I finish off our meal with this. My colleague raved so much about this. The owner highly recommended "Black Dog" which is a combination of Guinness Stout and dark chocolate. But we were heading to Life Group after dinner so we opted for another one, with a lighter (but still alcoholic) flavour. I wasn't so sure what exactly was in our ice scream but it had a little alcohol taste in it. We were strongly advised to eat it with sprinkles of salt to bring out the alcohol taste, which we both did. We even tried with chili flakes as recommended, to get the cold and hot effect.
But I still prefer having it with salt. 


Ice Scream (Armarula) | RM13.90
We will definitely be back to try the rest of the food on the menu because 43 Cafe has earned our "Favourite Dining Spot".  

Thank you for reading and sorry if I made you drool! And sorry if you're not from Penang, Malaysia... I feel your pain! HAHA. 

But it's okay, if you happen to visit Penang in the future, here's what you need:

Address | 43, Jalan Sungai Dua, 11700 Penang (Housing Area)
Operating Hours | 5.30pm - 10.00pm
Facebook: 43 Cafe 



Love, 
Sheryn

You May Also Like

0 kind notes