Down Memory Lane |

by - 00:45

It's 12.10am now and I am supposed to sleep coz obviously there's work tomorrow... But guess what? I choose writing over sleep because I am over excited thinking about my interesting past.


I'm bringing you on a trip down memory lane, back in 2005. Just about 20 minutes ago, my friend tagged me in a photo. Not just any photo but with my discipline teacher in it. Exactly 10 years ago, Puan Jennifer was our 'Kemahiran Hidup' teacher and also the head of discipline in Methodist Girls' School Penang. She had the aura of (let me think of the fiercest thing alive) a lion? Idk, but man was she scary. We all fear her. Because of her, I told my sister not to become a teacher coz I thought teachers will turn into mad women eventually. So what brought me here was something we (I think I) did that led to a severe punishment then which we all remember till now. 

She was so strict and came up with crazy rules like you can't wear earrings to school if it is besides silver or gold in colour. And you know lah, us being teenagers at 15, being and looking cool is the utmost important thing in our life. So, LY (LeeYip) wore a black round earring to school that day (see I really can remember). She was spotted by hawk eye teacher and then asked to remove the earrings. She was definitely very upset about it but held it in. I think if she was like one of the kids these days, she would've screwed Pn Jenn up. But no, she just went back to her seat and sat there quietly. 

Now, me being the mischievous one, wrote LY a letter... The letter says something like "... eh, let's go to CPT (Convent Pulau Tikus) since here so strict..." That was a very obvious joke that I made coz I think we didn't like CPT very much. So it WAS A JOKE! After I've written that 'letter', I passed to another girl to pass to LY. So she took the paper and while handing over to LY, Mrs Hawk Eye  saw and shouted, "what is that?!" oh mannnn nobody knows what went through my mind. My heart almost came out from my mouth! The 'messenger' then said it's a letter to be passed to LY. Mrs Hawk Eye then asked LY to take it and open it up and read it to the entire class. And so.... my 'joke' was read aloud to everyone. I could see how hesitant LY was when she was asked to read. She was actually giggling while reading. 

So long story short, teacher got mad (and maybe pms or what I'm not sure) went to the school office for some time, came back and made us stand at the basketball court, under the hot sun. We were placed 1 at one end the other at the other end, just so that we won't chit chat. OMGsh, imagine how LY would have felt. Like hello? She was innocent, did nothing wrong but got punished as well. 

That incident there happened 10 years ago and we all remember it up until now. Mrs Hawk Eye will always be remembered as a scary teacher. I think when I bump into her now it will still send chills down my spine. Idk. I mean she's really scary. She threw books and stuff. Who wouldn't be afraid? 

Thoughts about highschool always leave a very nice feeling in my heart... Those are truly the best years of my life! I've never laughed that much anymore and I doubt I will in the future. I miss my buddies. There's 8 of us altogether, but we're totally harmless.. We were really chatty and noisy but we never did anything to hurt anyone. Guess teachers then didn't know how to appreciate innocent hearts like that. Kids nowadays are different, according to a teacher-friend. Not as harmless as we used to be. And I also found out that Mrs Hawk Eye is still working at the same school, however she has calmed down a lot more. I want to clarify that I do not have anything against her now, I've let go. 

I LOVE HIGH SCHOOL AND I CANNOT LIE!!! 

Here's the photo that led me here: 
See it was so long ago that Hui Ling already became a mama... (Oops, look at those comments coming in)
Our fear & trembling student-teacher relationship did not end badly. Coz when I turned 16, I cleaned up my act. Eh no wait. My act memang clean... Erm, I shall put it this way, I toned down. Not as noisy/mischievous anymore. And I remember something nice she said about me when I was 17... She said "I didn't know you can sing so well, good job!" after my performance during the English Week. So yeah, that compliment was actually my last conversation with her.

Thanks for the memories, Puan Jennifer and thank YOU for reading. :)

Love,
Sheryn 

You May Also Like

0 kind notes